Alabama Occupational Therapist School
By Susan Maphis, allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
Steps to Become an Occupational Therapist in the State of Alabama
- Receive a Bachelor's degree from a college or university in a field related to health care. Examples of qualifying majors include Biology, Physiology, Psychology, or Human Development.
- Earn a Master's degree from one of the accredited online Alabama Occupational Therapy schools. Coursework from the biological, physical, and behavioral sciences should be included.
- Pass the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy exam (NBCOT). Contact the board directly to arrange to take the examination:
National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy Inc.
800 S. Frederick Avenue, Suite 200
Gaithersburg, MD 20877-4150
- Have the NBCOT send a verification form directly to the Alabama State Board of Occupational Therapy:
Alabama State Board of Occupational Therapy
P.O. Box 3926
Montgomery, AL 36109-0926
- Completion of license verification forms from any other states in which you have been licensed as an Occupational Therapist
- A fee of $115, which will pay for an initial OT license for one year. (After renewal, subsequent OT licenses are good for two years).
- A recent head and shoulders photograph must be attached to the application.
- Make sure all application forms are completed, signed, and notarized, and mail to the address for the Alabama State Board of Occupational Therapy (given above). Application forms are available at: http://ot.alabama.gov/pdfs/InstrAppForLicense.pdf If you have applied for a license and wish for verification of certification of your license to be sent to a regulatory agency or employer, you can complete a form and enclose $35 for each Verification of Certification Request.
Once you receive your initial license in Occupational Therapy in the state of Alabama, it is valid for a period of one year; however, after the first renewal, your license will be up for renewal every two years. You must submit a Renewal Application with a fee of $115 to the State Board at the time of renewal.