|Allied Health World Home | Occupational Therapy |||
| | More
Alabama Occupational Therapist School
By Susan Maphis, allied health world contributing writer
Published: March, 21 2010
Find a school now
Steps to Become an Occupational Therapist in the State of Alabama
- Receive a Bachelor's degree from a college or university in a field related to health care. Examples of qualifying majors include Biology, Physiology, Psychology, or Human Development.
- Earn a Master's degree from one of the accredited online Alabama Occupational Therapy schools. Coursework from the biological, physical, and behavioral sciences should be included.
- Pass the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy exam (NBCOT). Contact the board directly to arrange to take the examination:
National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy Inc.
800 S. Frederick Avenue, Suite 200
Gaithersburg, MD 20877-4150
- Have the NBCOT send a verification form directly to the Alabama State Board of Occupational Therapy:
Alabama State Board of Occupational Therapy
P.O. Box 3926
Montgomery, AL 36109-0926
- Completion of license verification forms from any other states in which you have been licensed as an Occupational Therapist
- A fee of $115, which will pay for an initial OT license for one year. (After renewal, subsequent OT licenses are good for two years).
- A recent head and shoulders photograph must be attached to the application.
- Make sure all application forms are completed, signed, and notarized, and mail to the address for the Alabama State Board of Occupational Therapy (given above). Application forms are available at: http://ot.alabama.gov/pdfs/InstrAppForLicense.pdf If you have applied for a license and wish for verification of certification of your license to be sent to a regulatory agency or employer, you can complete a form and enclose $35 for each Verification of Certification Request.
Once you receive your initial license in Occupational Therapy in the state of Alabama, it is valid for a period of one year; however, after the first renewal, your license will be up for renewal every two years. You must submit a Renewal Application with a fee of $115 to the State Board at the time of renewal.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alabama
Discover the power of ONE COURSE A MONTH® to fit education into your busy life.
- Associate of Applied Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
As a student at South University, you will learn from accomplished faculty members who have real-world experience in the subjects that they teach. Our small class sizes allow you to receive personalized attention from instructors, and the encouragement to recognize your goals for the future and the means to achieve them.
- Physical Therapist Assistant (AS)
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling (MA)