Alaska Occupational Therapist School
By Susan Maphis, allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
Steps to Become an Occupational Therapist in Alaska
- Earn a Bachelor's degree in a health care-related field, such as Psychology, Physiology, or Biology.
- Graduate with a Master's degree from one of the accredited online Alaska Occupational Therapy schools. Classes should include courses from the physical, behavioral, and biological sciences. The state of Alaska requires completion of at least 24 contact hours of occupational therapy course work in the 24 months preceding application for licensure; and completion of at least 60 hours of occupational therapy service in the 24 months preceding application for licensure.
- Pass the NBCOT (National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy exam) or complete 150 hours of occupational therapy internship approved by the State Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Board in Alaska. Examinations can be arranged through:
- National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy Inc.
800 S. Frederick Avenue, Suite 200
Gaithersburg, MD 20877-4150
- Submit all application materials to the State Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Board in Alaska, including:
- a completed, notarized application with $50 application fee
- an initial licensure fee of $230
- recent head shot photograph attached to application
- a Professional Reference form sent directly to the board from a physician, instructor, supervisor, or official of your school of occupational therapy
- verification from licensure from each and every jurisdiction where you may already hold a license/certificate/permit
- verification of initial certification from the NBCOT sent directly by the NBCOT
- verification of 24 contact hours of occupational therapy course work and 60 hours of occupational therapy service in the 24 months preceding application for licensure
- verification of either passage of the NBCOT or 150 hours of occupational therapy internship
- a completed Jurisprudence Questionnaire
Forms can be found at www.commerce.state.ak.us/occ/pub/phy4123.pdf Completed applications should be mailed to:
State of Alaska
Department Of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
State Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Board
P.O. Box 110806
Juneau, AK 99811-0806
The application process takes 4-6 weeks from the time all documents are received.Through campus based and online programs, aspiring Occupational Therapists in Anchorage, Fairbanks, Juneau and Sitka, Alaska may be able to prepare themselves for the possibility of employment in some of the largest hospitals and healthcare facilities in the state including Providence Alaska Medical Center, Fairbanks Memorial Hospital, Alaska Regional Hospital, and Central Peninsula Regional Hospital.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Alaska
We currently do not have any matching schools. However, the following online listings are also options for you:
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Student Development Counseling and Administration
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Community Counseling
- Counseling Psychology(EdD) (Online)
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its seven colleges: Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Undergraduate Studies, The Art Institute of California and Western State College of Law as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- Fort Lauderdale
- Military Physical Assistant Prerequisite Program
- BS in Psychology - Substance Abuse
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- Drug and Alcohol Treatment Specialist