dcsimg

Medical Billing and Coding Schools in Delaware - DE

Delaware Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Education

Students can gain certification through CAHIIM-approved distance learning programs or through Delaware medical coding schools. Distance learning is ideal for people with families, full-time jobs, or limited time availability; it is also excellent for people who prefer to learn at their own pace.

A typical certificate program through medical billing schools in Delaware takes one year to complete, focusing directly on the core concepts of medical billing and coding. Students who participate in these programs take classes in anatomy and physiology, basic math, medical terminology, health care law, medical billing, medical coding, and other related topics.

An Associate's degree can take two years or more to complete, depending on how much time students dedicates to their class schedule. Associate's degree programs combine medical billing, medical terminology, health care law, anatomy, physiology, medical coding, and disease concepts courses with additional classes in English, mathematics, the sciences, and the humanities.

Medical Billing and Coding Specialists with AHIMA certification and credentials are required to renew their certificates every two years, and gain 10-30 continuing education credits before the end of every renewal period. According to AHIMA's recertification standards (www.ahima.org/certification/recertification.aspx), 80 percent of a certificant's continuing education units (CEUs) must be relevant to health information management; the remaining 20 percent can relate to another topic, such as human resources management or accounting. AHIMA members can acquire CEUs through college classes and educational seminars, symposiums, and AHIMA-sponsored meetings.

Through campus based and online programs, aspiring Medical Billing and Coding Professionals in Wilmington, Dover and Newark, Delaware may be able to prepare themselves for the possibility of employment in some of the largest hospitals and healthcare facilities in the state including the Christiana Hospital, Nanticoke Memorial Hospital, and Kent General Hospital.

Medical Billing & Coding Schools