Alabama Dental Hygienist License
To Obtain a dental hygienist License in Alabama by Examination, a hygienist must:
- Complete and pass the Alabama Jurisprudence Exam with a minimum score of 75%.
- Submit a 2” x 2” photograph and a copy of a current CPR card with notarized application for license.
- Complete and show proof of two hours of training on infection disease.
- Be up-to-date on Hepatitis B series.
- Provide official transcripts of dental hygiene education, national board examination, and exam scores from a dental testing agency.
- Pay a $200 dental hygiene exam fee and a $25 license certificate fee to the Alabama Board of Dental Examiners.
To Obtain a License by Credentials, a hygienist needs to:
- Take and pass the Alabama Jurisprudence Exam.
- Show proof of 5,000 hours of dental hygiene practice or full-time dental hygiene education over the 5 years preceding the application for a license.
- Hold a current and valid license in another state whose examination standards are approved by the state of Alabama.
- Be willing to appear before the Board for an interview.
- Prove that there is no pending or final disciplinary action against his/her license.
- Prove that DEA permit is in good standing and has not been revoked, limited, or modified in any way.
- Secure two (2) affidavits from two licensed dentists or licensed dental hygienists who are practicing in the same general area as the applicant.
- Show proof of successful completion of a Board-approved dental hygiene degree program.
- Show proof that professional liability coverage has not been cancelled or refused.
- Submit a check or money order for $2,000.
The Alabama Board of Dental Examiners can request additional information in relation to any application, as it sees fit.
License Renewal for Dental Hygienists in Alabama - AL
Hygienists are granted licenses for one year, which must be renewed annually. Hygienists must earn 12 hours of continuing education units (CEUs) annually to comply with renewal requirements.