Lactation Consultant Schools in District of Columbia - DC
One of the most important steps in career preparation is lactation consultant training in the District of Columbia. While there are many things that can be learned from books, some things are actually better taught in person where you can be more involved in the learning process. Working under the direct supervision of certified lactation consultants, you will have the advantage of being exposed to their knowledge and expertise.
During this training program, you will be doing things like:
- Assessing the nutritional needs of newborns and infants
- Implementing healthy prenatal care schedules
- Assessing sufficient flow of breast milk and troubleshooting complications
- Working with mothers and newborns to ensure that the baby is taking to the breast
- Promoting awareness about the importance of breastfeeding
- Promoting healthy nutritional choices during the postpartum period
Before you can be eligible for a lactation consultant training program, you will first need to enroll in one of the lactation consultant schools in the District of Columbia. Although there are no state licensing requirements, all lactation consultants in the District of Columbia are required to be registered nurses, meaning that you will need at least a bachelor degree in health sciences.