How to Become an MRI Technician in Florida
MRI Technician Training in Florida
- Receive your high school diploma or GED.
- Find a school that offers a radiology technology training program. MRI Technologists are not certified by the state of Florida like other radiologic technologists are. However, many employers in the state prefer that their MRI technologists are certified radiologists. Therefore, it makes sense to complete a radiologic technician program, so that you can become certified in Florida. A list of accredited radiologic technology programs in Florida can be found at www.doh.state.fl.us/ENVIRONMENT/radiation/radtech/Rad_Tech_Programs_Dec_2009.pdf.
- After you have completed the radiology training, find a Florida MRI technician training program, which takes about a year to complete. This will provide at least 1000 hours of MRI training.
- Apply to the state of Florida to become a certified radiologic technologist. The application is at www.doh.state.fl.us/ENVIRONMENT/radiation/radtech/Form_1005_Mar08_Form4127_Form4128.pdf. This involves taking an exam, administered by Pearson VUE, which costs $150. Send the completed application along with transcripts from your school(s) to:
Department of Health
Division of Medical Quality Assurance
EMT/Paramedic/Radiologic Technology Office
4052 Bald Cypress Way
Tallahassee, FL 32399-3285
Pearson VUE will contact you with an Authorization To Test once your application has been received. On the day of the test at the testing center, you need to show a driver's license or photo ID plus another form of identification with your signature.
- To become MRI certified, you will need to take an MRI certification exam at the end of your MRI training. The ARMRIT specialty MRI exam is offered through LaserGrade Computer Testing across the United States. In Florida, it is offered in cities such as Tallahassee, Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando. The exam fee is $300. The application can be found at www.armrit.org/pdf/app010110.pdf. All documentation and fees should be mailed to:
8815 Commonwealth Blvd.
Bellerose, NY 11426