Become a Psychologist in Kentucky - KY
Aspiring students and soon-to-be graduates should note the following steps specific to how to become a psychologist in Kentucky:
- Complete the application for licensure, which can be found at http://psy.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/8D81CD3F-AA84-4964-8E87-07F50D26E4C9/0/ApplicationforLicensure.pdf.
- Pay a $300 application fee.
- Those interested in knowing how to become a psychologist in Kentucky must pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP). The Kentucky based applicant must receive a grade of 70 percent or better on the EPPP to pass. This is equivalent to a raw score of 140 on the paper exam and a scaled score of 500 on the computerized exam.
- Pass a structured oral exam that will be provided by two licensed psychologists. The oral exam will review professional practice issues, ethical issues, and mental health law in Kentucky. The applicant must prove that he or she is at an acceptable knowledge level in each of these areas to pass the exam, as decided by each examiner.
- Pass a review by the Kentucky Board of Examiners of Psychology that consists of the applicant’s professional references, as well as his or her record in terms of complaints and hearings in prior jurisdictions.
Applicants who are granted a license will be up for license renewal every three years in Kentucky.