Become a Psychologist in Mississippi - MS
After completion of the doctorate degree and the required supervisory hours, one must then apply to the Mississippi Board of Psychology for a licensure application. This application is available from their website (www.psychologyboard.state.ms.us). It contains the information that is needed for those interested in knowing how to become a psychologist in Mississippi. This includes information on how to apply for licensure, including licensure fees of ($300), the required documentation to support your application (official transcripts sent directly from the university attended, letters of verification from psychologists who supervised internships and clinical experiences), and timeframe expected for approval.
A passing score of at least 70% must also be achieved on the Examination for Professional Practice of Psychology (EPPP), which is administered through the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB). You may apply for this exam at www.asppb.net and elect to have your scores sent directly to the Mississippi Board of Psychology along with your application for licensure. The cost of the exam is $450, with an additional fee of up to $65 charged by the computer service that operates the exam.
Once all of the above steps have been completed and your application has been approved, you will then be issued a Mississippi license to practice psychology.
Step by Step How to Become a Psychologist in Mississippi:
- Visit the APA website to select an undergraduate program available in Mississippi for a bachelor’s degree in psychology
- Select a master’s and a doctorate degree program through the same method
- Complete your education (doctorate level) along with the required post-doctorate supervisory hours
- Apply for the national certification examination through the ASBBP and successfully complete it with a passing score of at least 70%
- Submit this score, along with your Mississippi licensure application, to the Mississippi Board of Psychology
- Await approval of your licensure application
- Receive your Mississippi psychology license and begin practicing in the state
- Uphold the ethical standards of practice and continuing education requirements as set forth by the Mississippi Board of Psychology
How to Become a Psychologist in Mississippi:
In order to become a licensed psychologist in Mississippi, you must have met the following requirements stated by the Board of Psychology:
First, you must have successfully completed a graduate program in the area of psychology. This would include a one year internship, followed by a one year post-graduate position under a supervising licensed psychologist. Second, you must pass the Examination for the Professional Practice of Psychology (EPPP). In Mississippi, it is also required to take the Professional Responsibility Exam (PRE), which tests over the rules and regulations of practicing psychology in the state of Mississippi. Finally, an individual must submit official transcripts, letters of recommendations, exam scores, the application for licensure, and $500 application fee.
License Renewal for Psychologists in Mississippi:
Worthy of mention for those interested in knowing how to become a psychologist in Mississippi is the fact that the license to practice is only valid for two years. All licenses expire on the day the license was issued by the state. Continuing education requirements are mandated in order to be eligible for license renewal. The renewal fee is $500.