Become a Psychologist in New Mexico - NM
After earning a Doctorate in Psychology, those who want to know how to become a psychologist in New Mexico should note that you will need a license from the state. To obtain a license,
- Submit your signed license application to the New Mexico licensing Board
- Include verification that you underwent your pre-doctoral internship and supervision by a licensed psychologist, as well as post-doctoral supervision,
- Include your application fee,
- Have your accredited school submit official transcripts for your doctoral studies
- Submit three letters of reference
Once the board acknowledges all your paperwork is in order, you can sit for the national Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP), which is developed by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB). You may take the EPPP three times within 18 months of receiving approval to sit from the board. If you cannot pass in any of the three tries, you must resubmit your entire application.
After passing the EPPP, you must then pass the New Mexico jurisprudence exam demonstrating your knowledge of federal and state psychologist-related laws.
Professional Organizations for Psychologists in New Mexico
New Mexico Psychology Association (NMPA)
The state affiliate of the American Psychological Association, this group represents the interests of New Mexico’s psychology caregivers, advocates for healthcare legislation and provides information for psychologists and consumers alike.
New Mexico Psychological Association
8205 Spain NE, Suite 202
Albuquerque, NM 87109