How to Become a Respiratory Therapist in West Virginia – WV
Becoming a Respiratory Therapist in West Virginia
- Attend and graduate from a respiratory care program accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) or by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Program lengths vary, but you can start with an Associate’s Degree. You can choose from a certificate program, Associate’s Program or Bachelor’s Degree.
- Obtain a License from WVBORC:
- Temporary License:
- You may obtain a temporary license for up to six (6) months and renew that license once for a total of one year of work under temporary licensing. The application and license fees for a temporary license is $75.00
- To obtain a temporary license, you must either have a license in good standing from another state or be enrolled in a board-approved respiratory care program. If you are a student, you must have already completed 30 semester hours (or the equivalent in quarter hours), of which 18 hours are specific to respiratory care, and 200 clinical hours. This must all be documented and approved by the program administrator and a principal administrative official at the school.
- Full License:
- Upon graduation of an approved respiratory care program and passing of either the Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) or Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) exams as administered by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC).
- The fee for this application is $200.00 for a new license.
- In addition to the fee and the application, you must submit the following with a new application; a notarized copy of your official transcript or diploma and the NBRC Credential Certificate, a 2’ x 2’ photograph of yourself (similar to a passport), and a letter of good standing from any other state in which you were licensed to practice respiratory therapy.
- If you do not complete all the exams and provide the required documentation within ninety days of submitting your application to the board, WVBORC considers this application expired.
- Temporary License:
- If you follow these steps you will be eligible for West Virginia respiratory therapist careers.
West Virginia Board of Respiratory Care (WVBORC)
106 Dee Drive, Suite 1
Charlestown, WV 25311