Pharmacy Technician Certification in Illinois - IL
By an allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
Steps to Becoming a Pharmacy Technician in Illinois
Find the right online or campus based Illinois pharmacy technician certification program for you, and get enrolled as soon as possible. Getting certified as a Pharmacy Tech in Illinois has never been easier. There are many schools to choose from that will provide you with the necessary knowledge you will need in order to pass the PTCB Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam.
- Register to take the PTCB exam (Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam) in your area. The completion of this exam is required by all pharmacies in the state of Illinois in order to become a certified Pharmacy Technician. After passing the exam, you can use the credential CPhT after your name. Certification lasts for 2 years, at which point you will need to reapply for renewal.
Eligibility requirements to register for the exam include…
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- No felony conviction, & no drug or pharmacy related convictions
- For more information about all of the necessary registration requirements visit the PTCB website
There are 80 multiple-choice questions on the exam, and the total exam time is 2 hours. The exam is broken down into 3 sections…
- 66% of the exam is assisting Pharmacists in serving patients
- 22% is maintaining medication and inventory control
- 12% is participating in the administration and management of pharmacy practice
Completion of an online or campus based Illinois Pharmacy Technician certification program will help you be better prepared to pass this exam your first time. To retest you must wait 90 days from the original test date before reapplying to take the PTCB exam. There are also online, as well as paperback exam review text books that will help you study and prepare for all of the material that will be found on the PTCB exam. After you pass the exam, you will be a certified Pharmacy Technician in the state of Illinois, and ready to become a full time employee of a Pharmacy that is hiring in your area of choice.
Professional organizations related to becoming a Pharmacy Technician in the state of Illinois
AAPT – American Association of Pharmacy Technicians
Mission Statement: AAPT guides its members, and provides a source for them to have the best possible training, CE credits, and meet the highest expectations of the industry.
AAPT - http://pharmacytechnician.com/index.html offers a wide range of education within the Pharmacy Tech field. They help specialize in specific positions within a pharmacy, and are always pushing towards staying on the cutting edge of new developing technologies in an ever-changing industry.
P.O. BOX 1447
Greensboro, NC 27402
NPTA – National Pharmacy Technician Association
The NPTA http://www.pharmacytechnician.org/ is one of the largest professional organizations for Pharmacy Technicians that exists today.
Founded in Houston Texas (1999), it now has over 30,000 members nation wide. Most of what they offer can be found online, and is constantly being updated to meet current trends in the world of professional Pharmacy Techs.