Become a Dental Assistant in Louisiana - LA
Dental assistants in Louisiana are not regulated by the State Board of Dentistry. Dental assistants help dentists and hygienists with exams and procedures, but can perform higher-level functions after earning the Expanded Duty Dental Assistant (EDDA) certificate.
How to Become a Dental Assistant in Louisiana
Dental assistants can perform a variety of simple tasks under the direct supervision of the dentist, and can be trained on-the-job. Assistants can also obtain EDDA certification by completing an approved 2-year course of study. Assistants can take x-rays, but must take x-ray certification courses from an accredited school and be licensed by the State Board of Dentistry.
To Obtain an EDDA Certificate
- Download an EDDA certificate application from the State Board of Dentistry website (www.lsbd.org).
- Complete and submit the application with a $25 check or money order and the following documentation:
- Proof of completion for an approved radiology course.
- Proof of completion for an expanded duty dental assistant program.
- Current CPR certification card.