Become a Personal Trainer in Louisiana - LA
How to become licensed as a Personal Trainer in Louisiana
Louisiana has no brick-and-mortar schools dedicated to Personal Training, although several major universities offer Personal Training curricula. In Louisiana, personal trainer certification training courses are very often the best option. These online schools provide a very convenient way of getting a fully accredited and affordable education in fitness training.
The cost to be certified as an Athletic Trainer in Louisiana is $11 for the exam and certificate, and $25 to renew the certification.
Louisiana Athletic Trainers Association
Steps to becoming a Personal Trainer in Louisiana
As in many industries, the more experience and clients you gain, the more word-of-mouth business you will attract. Even if your goal is to run your own fitness business or to train people in their homes, you might consider working for a health club. You can consider your employment there to be an apprenticeship so as to develop your skills and reputation. It is also a great way to connect with other people in the industry.
Louisiana has no legal requirements for becoming a Personal Trainer, unlike, say, for massage therapists. However, to enhance your image in the eyes of a potential employer or client, it is recommended that you acquire the credentials itemized below.
- Register and finish a college or online course that focuses on personal training, physical education, exercise psychology or a related area. While this is not a requirement, it will improve your credentials and make you look more professional.
- Obtain or update your CPR certification. This is important from a safety and liability standpoint.
- Study and sit for a Personal Training Instructor certification exam.
- Either set up your own business and market yourself, or identify and submit your resume to local health clubs that hire Personal Trainers to instruct their members.
- Take classes and obtain certification in specialty areas. (i.e., aerobics, weight training, tennis, etc.)
- Frequently enhance your knowledge by taking continuing education courses and keep abreast on the latest in exercise technology and methods.
- While being in great shape yourself is not technically a requirement, as a Personal Trainer, you are always selling your services. Looking good is one way to demonstrate that you know how to apply your knowledge.
Note that for Athletic Trainers, who may work in hospital or clinic settings, a bachelor’s degree is usually required, although some go further and pursue their master’s or doctorate.