Occupational Therapy Schools in Massachusetts - MA
By allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
Steps to Become an Occupational Therapist in Massachusetts
The most successful people in this profession are those who have a genuine desire to help people. Occupational Therapists are compassionate and caring individuals by nature. This type of work requires someone who is flexible, creative, and especially, an excellent communicator.
- Familiarize yourself with the daily duties associated with the job by shadowing a practicing OT.
- Attain a bachelor’s degree in a health-related field.
- Complete the internship hours with a licensed and practicing Occupational Therapist.
- Apply to a master’s degree program through one of the accredited online or campus based Massachusetts Occupational Therapy schools.
- As part of the post graduate master’s program, complete all internship requirements.
- Sit for the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy exam to become registered and earn your OTR.
- Apply for your Massachusetts license.
- Seek out and apply for a position as an Occupational Therapist.
- Fulfill the required on-going continuing education units (CEUs).
You may take the NBCOT exam once you’ve graduated from the master’s degree program.
Internships are in various settings including nursing facilities, hospitals, and schools. Occupational therapists work one on one with both children and elderly with physical disabilities resulting from disease, injury, or old age.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics lists the state of Massachusetts as number one in the hiring of Occupational Therapists.Through campus based and online programs, aspiring Occupational Therapists in Boston, Worcester, Springfield, Cambridge and Lowell, Massachusetts may be able to prepare themselves for the possibility of employment in some of the largest hospitals and healthcare facilities in the state including the Massachusetts General Hospital, Winchester Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Marlborough Hospital.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Massachusetts
- East Greenwich
- Associate in Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant Technology
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy
New England Institute of Technology is a private, non-profit, co-educational technical college offering over 30 Associate in Science, Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degree programs.