How to Become a Massage Therapist in Arizona - AZ
To become licensed and earn massage therapy certification in Arizona one must follow one of two options for obtaining the State credential, depending on your situation. A regular license requires the following be submitted to the Arizona Board of Massage Therapy.
A. Regular Licensure –
- If you have never held a license or if you have a certificate from another state, you would apply for the “regular” license. You need to complete 700 hours of instruction from a Board recognized educational program for Massage Therapists and a copy of your transcript must accompany your application. There are over 12 schools across the state ranging from small schools, with populations of 50 students to larger colleges with more than 32,000 students.
- You must pay the application and licensing fees when the application is submitted.
- You must have passed the NCETMB (National Certification Exam for Therapeutic Massage and Bodyworks), which will grant you Massage Therapy certification in Arizona, as well as on a national level. Arizona will accept test scores from the NCETMB, the NCETM or the NESL. All exams are offered by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork.
- Agree to a fingerprint check.
B. If you have already been granted a license in another state, you would apply for a reciprocity credential for massage Therapy certification in Arizona. For this type of license the documents required are different from the regular license documentation;
- You must submit a transcript from the educational facility you attended.
- You must provide verification of your credential from the Board of Regulation of the state in which you hold your credential.
- If your license is older than 5 years, you may need to provide verification of passing the NCETMB.
- Pay licensing fees as indicated.
National Certification through NCBTMB (the National Certification Board for Massage Therapists and Bodyworks)
To qualify to sit for the NCETMB the following items must be submitted:
- Application form
- Signed Background Check form
- Signed Statement of understanding form
- Completed Candidate Compliance Form
- Transcript from school attended
- Pay fees as requested
- A recent photo (head shot preferably)