How to Become a Massage Therapist in South Carolina - SC
In South Carolina, massage therapy certification means you can have the freedom to enjoy the outdoor activities available year-round and still earn a comfortable salary. Most massage therapists in South Carolina- nearly 60% - are self-employed, setting their own schedules and therefore lifestyles. This freedom also allows massage therapists in South Carolina to choose the setting or possibly settings in which they work.
Becoming a Massage Therapist in South Carolina
- You must be 18 years of age or older to apply for licensure to be a massage therapist in South Carolina
- Obtain a high school diploma or equivalent degree.
- Complete an approved massage therapy/bodywork program, not less than 500 hours training.
- Pass the National Certification Examination (NCE) or the Federation of States Examination for Massage/Bodywork, or a board pre-approved certification examination.
- Apply for a license for massage therapy by completing the application and having it notarized. In order for South Carolina’s Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation to process your application, you must include the following; a certified copy of your massage therapy training program certificate or transcript, certified copy of your NCE or Federation of States Examination for Massage/Body work, and a check or money order for $150.00
- Once your application has been processed and you receive your South Carolina massage therapy license, you are ready to begin your career as a massage therapist.
South Carolina Massage/Bodywork Panel
PO Box 11329
Columbia, SC 29211