Become a Personal Trainer in Michigan - MI
How to Become a Personal Trainer in Michigan
- Take fitness, health, and nutrition courses as soon as you can, even as early as high school. Personal trainers need to know how the body moves, works, and responds to exercise, so all of the above classes will prove to be especially helpful in your preparation to become a personal trainer in Michigan.
- Obtain CPR training and certification and keep it current.
- Decide on your course personal trainer education. In Michigan, personal trainer certification is available through campus based and online schools. The education required can take from four weeks to six months to complete. It usually consists of 200-300 hours of classroom instruction and around 200 hours of supervised, hands-on gym time with potential clients. Many certification courses are offered during the day, evening, and on weekends to fit the needs of your schedule.
- Pass personal trainer certification requirements set by your chosen education program.
- Begin your search for a job as a personal trainer. The most recognized fitness chains are 24 Hour Fitness, Bally Total Fitness, Gold’s Gym, Lifetime Fitness, and Town Sports International. Check to see if there is one near you or ask around about local gym and fitness organizations where you could potentially get a job.
- Work hard to establish clientele. Once you have a few established clients and they see results, they will recommend you to their friends. The best way to gain business as a personal trainer is by word of mouth.
- Consider beginning your own personal training business or classes.