Missouri Occupational Therapist School
By allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
In a 2006 BLS publication it stated $61,160 was the national average salary for occupational therapists. When this ten-year study began showing a projected increase of 23% by 2016. The annual mean salary in Missouri for an Occupational Therapist in 2009 for is $86,000.
How to become an Occupational Therapist in Missouri
Someone with a genuine love for people, is compassionate, and has a desire to help others succeed will be the most successful type of person in this profession. This profession also requires flexibility, creativity, and especially, excellent communication skills in both verbal and written formats.
Occupational Therapy Missouri state licensure and national certification:
- Become familiar with the daily tasks associated with OT work by observing a licensed OT in practice.
- Attain a bachelor’s degree in any medical or health-related field.
- Complete the required internship hours in a work setting with a licensed Occupational Therapist.
- Research master’s degree programs offered online or through campus based Missouri occupational therapy schools.
- Complete two six months of internship training.
- Sit for the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy exam in order to become registered and earn your OTR.
- Apply for your Missouri license.
- Seek and apply for an Occupational Therapist position.
- Fulfill the requirements for on-going continuing education units (CEUs).
You must have completed the master’s degree program, fulfilled the required internships, and had a background check completed in order to be eligible to take the NBCOT exam.
There can be a variety of settings for doing the internships such as hospitals, nursing facilities, and schools. The typical areas are in the practices of physical disabilities, pediatrics, geriatrics, or mental health.Through campus based and online programs, aspiring Occupational Therapists in Kansas City, St. Louis, Springfield and Independence, Missouri may be able to prepare themselves for the possibility of employment in some of the largest hospitals and healthcare facilities in the state including the St. Johns Mercy Medical Center, St. Anthony’s Medical Center, Barnes Jewish Hospital and Missouri Baptist Medical Center.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Missouri
- Occupational Therapy Assistant A.A.S.