MLA Degree Programs
Is an MLA Degree required for this field?
Employers prefer to hire those candidates who have completed a formal training program as a medical lab assistant. There are a variety of certificate programs in this field. Most programs are only four to six months in duration. Some employers hire individuals with just a high school diploma and train them on the job.
What types of MLA schools are available?
MLA schools are typically at community colleges, technical schools or hospitals.
Is there a practicum or other type of practical experience required in medical lab assistant programs?
All medical lab assistant programs are different and have various requirements. Some programs require a practical course where students gain experience in the roles and duties of a medical lab assistant, including performing venipunctures under the direct supervision of experienced lab assistants.
What types of courses are typically included in a medical lab assistant program?
Taking a formal medical lab assistant certificate program not only benefits those individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in this field but also other health care professionals who want to expand on their skill set to further advance in their career. The below list provides some courses that are typically part of a medical lab assistant program.
- Course on the collection and processing of urine and blood specimens.
- Course on how to assess a patient’s vital signs.
- Phlebotomy course, which teaches how to perform venipunctures.
- Technical Math course
- Human Biology
- Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology class—This type of course provides the student with a basic foundation for understanding body systems, medical processes, diseases, and medical terminology.
- Electrocardiogram –Oftentimes a course like this is included in a medical lab assistant program to provide an understanding of the anatomy of the heart and the types of diagnostic aspects of the heart that pertain to a medical lab assistant’s job.
- Professional and Safety Issues –This type of course emphasizes the importance of safety and professionalism in working in the lab setting.
- Laboratory Procedures and Protocols—This course would clearly define the scope of practice of a medical lab assistant, including their responsibilities in specimen collection and body fluid analysis.