Occupational Therapy Schools in Montana - MT
By Mat Lindenberg, allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
Steps to Become an Occupational Therapist in Montana
Occupational Therapy is a field that is very much in demand, and that demand is only set to increase, as the population both ages and grows. If you are looking to begin a career as an Occupational Therapist in Montana, you've got a bright future ahead of you- and by following these steps, you will be well on your way to getting your practicing license and being able to work.
- Eventually, you are going to need to get a Master's Degree from one of the state approved Montana Occupational Therapy schools with national accreditation. First, though, you should consider trying to find a job shadow opportunity, to make sure that the career is something that truly interests you.
- Being researching colleges and post-secondary educational facilities. You will need to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in a subject directly related to the kind of work you will be doing- prospective Occupational Therapists often choose psychology. Make sure you're taking a lot of classes that involve both helping and understanding people physically, and mentally.
- As you work towards your bachelors degree, pursue and press for any internship opportunities you can find. Occupational Therapy programs are extremely competitive, and many require a certain number of volunteer hours and recommendations from licensed Occupational Therapists or other medical professionals.
- At the time of this writing, there are no Occupational Therapy masters programs in Montana. However, there are several great ones nearby, and there are scholarships and grants to help cover the costs associated with relocating and having to attend college in another state. Find, and apply, to the programs you like- making sure they are currently on good terms with the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education, or ACOTE.
- After you have graduated with your master’s degree, you are very close to being eligible to work. You need only now to take and pass the National Board of Certification in Occupational Therapy exam, or NBCOT. You'll need to pass this to be able to work in the United States. It costs $480 dollars, can be retaken several times with only a 1 1/2 month delay if you don't pass immediately, and is made up of both a multiple choice section, and a section where you'll be given a fictional clinical situation and need to decide how best to proceed.
- When you've passed the test, you'll be notified by mail within 15 days. When you've received your card and your certification from the NBCOT, you are now technically an Occupational Therapist Registered. All that remains is to get your license.
- Licensure is Montana is handled by the Montana Board of Occupational Therapy practice. You'll need to send them your NBCOT scores, proof of identity, a filled out application form, and a processing and licensing fee of $190 dollars.
- When your application has been approved and you've been granted a license, you can begin working in Montana as an Occupational Therapist.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Montana
We currently do not have any matching schools. However, the following online listings are also options for you:
- Counseling Psychology(EdD) (Online)
Argosy University offers doctoral, master's, and bachelor's degree programs to students through its seven colleges: Psychology and Behavioral Sciences, Business, Education, Health Sciences, Undergraduate Studies, The Art Institute of California and Western State College of Law as well as certificate programs in many areas.
- M.S. in Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision - Forensic Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. in Mental Health Counseling - Trauma and Crisis Counseling
- Prescott Valley
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University.
- Post-Masters Cert: Exercise Science and Health Promotion: Rehabilitation Science
- MS: Exercise Science and Health Promotion: Rehabilitation Sciences
- Graduate Certificate in Sports Counseling
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania.