New York Medical Assistant Courses – NY
In addition to the initial medical assisting training in New York, there are continuing education requirements. Certified Medical Assistants (AAMA) must recertify their credential every five years. Recertification can be accomplished by passing the AAMA recertifying examination or by acquiring 60 recertification points. At least 30 points must come from AAMA-approved continuing education units (CEUs). Overall, the breakdown of recertification points is:
- 10 points in administrative topics
- 10 points in clinical topics
- 10 points in general topics such as professional communications
- 30 points from any combination of the above three categories
The points may come from self-study using AAMA materials or from AAMA-approved classes, programs and events. Points may also come from unapproved sources, although it is up to the individual to be sure that the content meets AAMA recertification standards.
Holders of the RMA credential from American Medical Technologists must recertify every three years by earning 30 AMT-approved continuing education points. The points can be earned through AMT’s own continuing education programs or through a wide variety of medical assisting training in New York, including:
- Traditional continuing education programs, such as classes at a community college or technical institute
- Industry training courses, such as a seminar on medical coding
- Required employment training, such as CPR and OSHA courses
- In-service training, such as an infection control class
- Attending national, state or regional conferences
- Approved self-study units It is up to the individual to verify that the activity meets
AMT’s continuing education standards and to obtain and submit proof that acceptable points were earned.
Professional Organizations for Medical Assistants in New York State
- The American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA):
The only professional organization exclusively devoted to the profession of medical assisting, the AAMA was founded in 1956 and has offered voluntary national certification to medical assistants since 1963.
American Association of Medical Assistants
20 North Wacker Drive, Suite 1575
Chicago, IL 60606-2903
- American Medical Technologists (AMT). Founded in 1939, AMT is a professional and certifying organization for a number of allied health professions, including medical assistants.
American Medical Technologists
10700 West Higgins, Suite 150
Rosemont, IL 60018
- New York State Society of Medical Assistants. This organization is an affiliate of the American Association of Medical Assistants. It has nine chapters in New York and sponsors an annual state conference.