North Carolina Pharmacy Tech Certificate – NC
By Susan Maphis, allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
Steps to Becoming a Pharmacy Technician in North Carolina
- You must be a high school graduate to be hired as a pharmacy tech in North Carolina, under state law.
- After graduation from high school, find a North Carolina pharmacy technician certificaion program through an online school or community college. Alternatively, you may find a job as a pharmacy tech and receive training on the job. However, in order to pass national certification exams, it's a better idea to receive formal training in a school. Whatever educational program you choose, if you elect to go to school, make sure it is accredited and approved by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) or the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP).
- North Carolina does not require national certification for its pharmacy technician positions. It is strongly advised, however, that all pharmacy technicians within the state become nationally certified. Many employers refuse to hire pharmacy techs without national certification. To become certified, you must take one of the following tests:
- The ExCPT (Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians), given by:
Inst. for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians
2536 S Old Hwy 94, Suite 224
St. Charles, MO 63303
- The National Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination, given by the Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB):
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board
2215 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington DC 20037-2985
- Find a job as a pharmacy technician. Your school or training program may be able to help with this, or simply look in the wanted ads.
- You must register with the state of North Carolina within 30 days of taking a position as a pharmacy technician. You can register online at www.ncbop1.org/techapp/TechnicianApp.aspx . In addition to filling out the online application, you will need to submit a passport-sized photo of yourself and a fee of $30. Although everything can be submitted online, the mailing address is:
- NC Board of Pharmacy
6015 Farrington Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
- Once you are registered, you must renew your state registration every year. State registrations expire on Dec. 31 every year. You must also maintain certification with the PTCB, with renewal required every two years.
Pharmacy Technician Schools in North carolina
- Certificate in Pharmacy Technology
You can complete Southeastern Institute's training programs in as few as 8 months! Receive hands-on instruction from caring instructors with practical experience in the fields in which they teach. Southeastern's small class sizes and individualized attention can be just the help that you need to succeed.