How to Become an Informatics Nurse
By an allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
How to Become a Nursing InformaticistThe following are some general guidelines to help one know how to get started on the steps to become a nursing informatics professional. There are a variety of ways one can enter this profession but these steps provide the most streamlined method.
- Find a mentor in the field of nursing informatics and job shadow them for several days and weeks to get a good idea of what their day-to-day job entails.
- Become an RN by taking the necessary coursework and passing the NCLEX exam.
- There are two different routes to achieve a Bachelor of Science in Nursing:
- Complete an Associates degree in nursing program (ADN) and follow this with continued education to complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
- Complete a Bachelor of Science Nursing (BSN) degree. Work in clinical areas for two to three years to gain a better understanding of the field. Volunteer for anything involving computers and technology while at work to gain more experience.
- Earn a master’s degree in nursing informatics or a nursing informatics post-graduate certificate from an online or campus based program.
- Obtain a nursing informatics certification through ANNC or HIMSS.
- Look for a job in this rewarding field.
- Maintain the necessary continuing education units for certification.
What are the continuing education requirements for this field?Continuing education units must be maintained in order to keep current with both the RN license and the nursing informatics certification. The number of CE units needed by RNs depends on the state they reside and the stipulations of their state licensure. If certified by ANCC, 150 continuing education units are required every four years. Some of the credits to renew the RN licensure and the ANCC certification can overlap.
Learn more about the various nursing informatics jobs that are performed by individuals in the field.
What are some current hot topics in this field?Currently with President Obama’s push towards electronic healthcare, many funds are being provided towards this initiative. Since informatics nurses have a huge role in electronic documentation, this will likely mean more positions opening.
Nursing Informatics Schools
Select Campus Type : Enter Zip :
Matching School Ads
- Nursing RN to BSN
Quick Summary: Why ASU? At ASU, learning online is effective, flexible and smart. Every program delivered online is developed by the same excellent faculty who teach on our campuses, and is designed to engage students and professors in meaningful ways. The result? Our students are an integral part of a New American University.
- Nursing, BS
Quick Summary: Give your career a boost with an education from Bryant and Stratton College.
- Fort Lauderdale
- Nursing - Associate of Science Degree (Blended)
Quick Summary: Allied Health Institute is a post-secondary vocational school offering a variety of Diploma and Associate Degree programs in the field of Allied Health. By utilizing online learning, students have the flexibility to continue their education from the convenience of their own home. Our virtual classrooms will enable students to attend classes and communicate with instructors and classmates. Students can complete some programs without leaving their current employment or sacrificing family time.
- Parish Nursing Certificate
- Master of Science in Primary Care Nursing
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing Post-Licensure
Quick Summary: Advance your career with Indiana Wesleyan University.
Matching School Ads