Occupational Therapy Degree

What type of degree is required to become an occupational therapist?

As of January 2008, the entry-level minimum standard to practice as an occupational therapist is a master’s degree in occupational therapy. Prior to this date it was acceptable, although not preferred, to practice with a bachelor’s degree. Currently there are a good

What prerequisites are required for entry into an occupational therapy program?

To apply for a master’s program in occupational therapy a person must earn a bachelor’s degree, preferably in psychology or biology. They must also have taken courses in anatomy and physiology, biology, psychology, and anthropology to name a few. Students are also required to complete a volunteer internship with an occupational therapist in a practice setting. The hours required for internship experiences vary from one program to the next. Students must also have a high grade point average, observation log, and excellent letters of recommendation. Oftentimes occupational therapy degree programs involve an interview process as well.

Do a lot of occupational therapy programs have waiting lists?

US News and World Report named Occupational Therapy one of the top thirty most sought after jobs in 2009. Because the demand is so high for occupational therapists, coupled with the economic downturn, there is a high volume of people wanting to pursue this field. This can create waiting lists at times to be admitted into these programs.

What kinds of courses are included in an occupational therapist program?

Courses included in an occupational therapy program are: anatomy, physiology, psychology, kinesiology, and neurology to name a few.

Are internships or clinical hours required to graduate from an occupational therapy program?

Upon completion of coursework, occupational therapy students must complete two three-month internships, which are considered level two fieldwork. A third internship is usually optional. The internships are typically unpaid, supervised by practicing licensed occupational therapists, and the student must meet particular standards in order to pass. Generally the internships occur in a variety of settings like hospitals, nursing homes, and school districts. The practice areas typically are in physical disabilities, mental health, geriatrics, and pediatrics. Once course work and the required level II fieldwork are completed, the student must take a certification exam administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Certification is required in order to apply for a license to practice.

Learn more about how to become an occupational therapist.

Do Occupational Therapists have to take a national board exam?

Occupational therapists have to sit for the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) exam, which is very rigorous with multiple-choice questions, many of which are clinical based. Some of these exam questions provides a scenario involving a particular client and describe the clinical picture for that client. The individual taking the exam must evaluate how they would intervene for this fictional client.

The exam takes three to four hours to complete and the pass rate is around 80%. To be eligible to sit for the exam, an individual must have graduated from a master’s degree program, including completing the necessary internships, and have a background check completed as well. Upon passing the exam, the individual earns the title “registered occupational therapist” and can put the initials “OTR” behind their name.

Learn more about the occupational therapy jobs.

Do occupational therapists have to be licensed to practice?

Occupational therapists must apply to become licensed upon passing their national board exam. Some states require OTs to pass another licensure exam, and other states just require an application is completed and the necessary fees are submitted.

What types of continuing education requirements are in place for occupational therapists?

Occupational therapists must maintain 36 continuing education credits every three years to maintain their national certification. Each state also requires continuing education credits in order to maintain licensure, however, the CE credits to satisfy national registration and state licensure can overlap. There are a variety of ways to earn continuing education credits such as clinical courses, conferences, writing an article, speaking on an occupational therapy topic, conducting or publishing research.

Are there other specialty certifications that can be obtained in this field?

There are a wide variety of practice areas in which occupational therapists may specialize, such as hand therapy, early intervention, neonatal intensive care, feeding and swallowing, driver rehabilitation, mental health, and assistive technology. Special training and independent certification processes are available in some of these areas. In addition, occupational therapists may pursue certifications in specific assessment and/or intervention approaches such as lymph edema, neurodevelopmental treatment (NDT), sensory integration (SI), floortime, and therapeutic listening.

There are also specialty certifications that can be obtained in different practice areas through the American Occupational Therapy Association such as driving and community mobility, environmental modification, feeding, and low vision. Board certification is also available in the follow areas: gerontology, mental health, pediatrics, and physical rehabilitation.

Occupational Therapy Schools

Refine School Matches
Hide filters

    See More


    See More



    Please enter valid US or Canada Zip.
            Results open in new window

            Searching Searching ...

            Matching School Ads
            1 Program(s) Found
            • Offers training in various types of massage therapy, physical therapy/sports rehab, and personal fitness training & wellness.
            • Teaches in an environment that promotes learning and encourages empathetic and compassionate therapists.
            • Career service professionals work directly with students from the start of their program, and help them pursue employment in day spas, luxury hotels, cruise ships, and other locations.
            • Students can work in the SOCHI Massage Clinic to gain experience and build their career skills.
            • Financial aid representatives help students develop a personalized financial plan to finance their tuition.
            Show more [+]
            • Financial Aid
            5 Program(s) Found
            • Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
            • Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
            • We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
            • GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
            • Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
            Good for Working Adults
            • Accredited
            • Online Courses
            • Flexible Scheduling
            • Accelerated Programs
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits
            2 Program(s) Found
            • Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
            • Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
            • Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
            • Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
            • Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
            Show more [+]
            • Online Courses
            • Financial Aid
            1 Program(s) Found
            • Provides students the opportunity to train at home in their spare time to get their high school diploma, train for a new career, or enhance current skills.
            • Offers programs in psychology/social work, business management, medical billing, criminal justice, and more.
            • Member of the United States Distance Learning Association (USDLA), the Canadian Network for Innovation in Education (CNIE), and the International Council for Open and Distance Education (ICDE).
            • Features a fully flexible schedule with no classes to attend, leaving the study pace up to the student.
            Show more [+]
            • Online Courses
            1 Program(s) Found
            • Intertwining academic excellence and faith since its founding in 1941.
            • Offers traditional undergrad, adult and graduate, as well as seminary programs.
            • Gives laptop computers to all incoming freshman students.
            • Has nearly 20 study abroad programs available across 10 countries.
            • Located less than 5 miles from Grand Rapids, the 2nd largest city in Michigan.
            • Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA).
            Show more [+]
            Good for Working Adults
            • Accredited
            • Flexible Scheduling
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits
            SPEAK TO AN ADVISOR 1.844.285.6104