Pharmacy Technician Certification in South Dakota - SD
Typical Steps to Becoming a Pharmacy Technician in South Dakota
- If you are a high school student thinking of pursuing the career of pharmacy technician, focus on taking courses in math and science.
- Upon graduation, apply for a South Dakota pharmacy technician certification program. Earning a formal college education can ease the national certification process later, which in turn can make earning a position as a pharmacy tech in the South Dakota easier.
- If possible, find a position as a pharmacy technician assisting a licensed pharmacist. You can do this while still undergoing your education program, or after graduation. If you choose to do so while still enrolled in college, you should register with the state before beginning any on-the-job, on-site practical experience.
- Within 30 days of accepting the position as a pharmacy technician (or before beginning work, if you're still in your college educational pharmacy tech training program,) apply to register with the state Board of Pharmacy. This involves filling out an application, which can be found at:
- Submit your application, along with a fee of $25, to:
South Dakota Board of Pharmacy
4305 South Louise Ave., Suite 104,
Sioux Falls, SD 57106
- After working for a while as a registered pharmacy tech, you may want to consider taking the exam to become nationally certified. In the state of South Dakota, the national certification of pharmacy technicians is strictly voluntary. However, becoming nationally certified can improve your job security and open you to more jobs as a pharmacy technician in other states, if you ever decide to move out of South Dakota. There are two common paths for becoming nationally certified:
- Take the Exam for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians (ExCPT). Testing centers are available in every state, including South Dakota. Contact:
Institute for the Certification of Pharmacy Technicians
2536 S Old Hwy 94, Suite 224
St. Charles, MO 63303
- Take the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination (sponsored by the PTCB). Test centers can be found through:
Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB)
2215 Constitution Avenue NW
Washington DC 20037-2985