Become a Substance Abuse Counselor in Nevada - NV

Substance abuse counselors, also called chemical dependency professionals (or CDPs), work with those who are addicted to drugs or alcohol to try to help restore them to an addiction free life. They perform duties including assessment, case management, education, and treatment. Substance abuse counselor certification in Nevada is necessary in order to be eligible to work in that state. 

To be classified as a Substance Abuse Counselor I in Nevada, which is the entry-level position, one must obtain certification as an Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor Intern from the Nevada Board of Examiners for Alcohol, Drug and Gambling Counselors within 30 days of being hired. This specification may be obtained while one is still in college studying to be a substance abuse counselor. To move up to Substance Abuse Counselor II, one must have a bachelor degree in an approved social science field, pass the state’s CADC (Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor) test and have two years of experience working full time (4000 hours) under the supervision of a CADC.

The written portion of the examination to become a CADC in Nevada covers the pharmacology of psychoactive substances, counseling practice, theoretical basis of counseling, as well as ethics and confidentiality. Graduates must pass both portions of the exam with a score of at least 70% in order to earn state certification as a CADC/Substance Abuse Counselor II.

Substance Abuse Counselor Schools

Refine School Matches
Hide filters
  • SUBJECT Clear All

    See More


    See More



    Please enter valid US or Canada Zip.
            Results open in new window

            Searching Searching ...

            Matching School Ads
            Associate of Arts in Applied Psychology

            See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online

            Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.

            • Online Courses
            AA in Psychology

            Discover the Difference a Community of Support Makes in Your Educational Journey. From Application to Graduation, the Support You Need to Achieve Your Goals. 100% Online.

            New England College was founded in 1946 to educate soldiers coming home from war. The same great support system that welcomed returning GIs is still a hallmark of NEC today. From enrollment services representatives who’ll guide you through the application process to interactive tools that help you collaborate with instructors and classmates, NEC inspires you to reach the milestones of your educational journey.

            • Online Courses
            • Flexible Scheduling
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits
            • Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
            • Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
            • View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
            • Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
            • Online Courses
            Good for Working Adults
            • Ranked among the 2015 Best National Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
            • Designated as a Military Friendly School every year since 2012 by Victory Media.
            • Offers credit for prior learning and experience through assessment tests.
            • Provides a short term Leadership Certification program in partnership with EQUIP®.
            • Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
            Show more [+]
            • Accredited
            • Online Courses
            • Flexible Scheduling
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits