Become a Substance Abuse Counselor in New Mexico - NM

Cocaine abuse is high in the urban areas of New Mexico, as is the abuse of heroin, methamphetamine, club drugs such as ecstasy or LSD, and marijuana. Consequently, there is a great need for properly trained and licensed substance abuse counselors in New Mexico. Substance abuse counselor certification in New Mexico is necessary before being able to work there.

To grow to be a Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor (LADAC) in New Mexico, one must have reached the age of 21 and hold a minimum of an associate degree in a human services field with 270 hours of training in alcohol and drug abuse. In addition, you need at least 3000 client contact hours of supervised experience, with 200 hours of face-to-face supervision. New Mexico requires that you pass the National Certified Addiction Counselor (NCAC) Level 1 exam in order to gain licensure in the state. This will test the essential competency functions of the LADAC position. Once you earn your licensure in New Mexico, you will also become certified as a NCAC, allowing you to work in drug and alcohol counseling in many other states.

Substance Abuse Counselor Schools

Refine School Matches
Hide filters
  • SUBJECT Clear All

    See More


    See More



    Please enter valid US or Canada Zip.
            Results open in new window

            Searching Searching ...

            Matching School Ads
            AA in Psychology
            • Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
            • Ranked 37th among the Best Colleges for Veterans by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
            • Stands as the largest private, nonprofit university in the nation with 100,000+ students.
            • Offers over 230 programs online, from the certificate to the doctoral level.
            • Has a student-faculty ratio of 25:1, and 42.3% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
            Show more [+]
            • Accredited
            • Online Courses
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits
            Associate of Arts in Christian Ministry - Pastoral Ministry
            • Ranked among the 2015 Best National Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
            • Designated as a Military Friendly School every year since 2012 by Victory Media.
            • Offers credit for prior learning and experience through assessment tests.
            • Provides a short term Leadership Certification program in partnership with EQUIP®.
            • Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
            Show more [+]
            • Accredited
            • Online Courses
            • Flexible Scheduling
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits