Become a Substance Abuse Counselor in Washington - WA

The Washington State Department of Health has licensing requirements for Substance Abuse Counselors, sometimes known as chemical dependency professionals (CDPs), who advise individuals with alcohol, tobacco, drug, or other problems. The following is an overview of the requirements.

  1. Education requirements specify that an applicant must have at least an AA degree in human services or a related field from an approved school or have completed 90 quarters or 60 semester college credits. At least 45 quarter or 30 semester credits must be in courses related to the chemical dependency profession.

  2. Applicants must submit verification of supervised chemical dependency professional experience. The number of supervised hours depends upon the level of education.  The following basic requirements apply:  Associate degree in human services or a related field requires 2,500 hours of chemical dependency (CD) counseling; a baccalaureate degree requires 2,000 hours of CD counseling; master or doctoral degree requires 1,500 hours of CD counseling.
  3. Applicants must pass the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC) level 1 or higher, or the International Certification and Reciprocity Consortium (ICRC) level II or higher examination. Exam scores must be sent directly from NAADAC or ICRC.

Note that individuals who have a credential in another state may also apply. For more information, contact the Washington State Department of Health, Health Professions and Facilities, 243 & 310 Israel Rd SE, P.O. Box 47865, Olympia, Washington, 98504-7865.

Substance Abuse Counselor Schools

Refine School Matches
Hide filters
  • SUBJECT Clear All

    See More


    See More



    Please enter valid US or Canada Zip.
            Results open in new window

            Searching Searching ...

            Matching School Ads
            AA in Psychology
            • Ranked among top Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
            • Ranked 37th among the Best Colleges for Veterans by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
            • Stands as the largest private, nonprofit university in the nation with 100,000+ students.
            • Offers over 230 programs online, from the certificate to the doctoral level.
            • Has a student-faculty ratio of 25:1, and 42.3% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
            Show more [+]
            • Accredited
            • Online Courses
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits
            Associate of Arts in Christian Ministry - Pastoral Ministry
            • Ranked among the 2015 Best National Universities by U.S. News & World Report.
            • Designated as a Military Friendly School every year since 2012 by Victory Media.
            • Offers credit for prior learning and experience through assessment tests.
            • Provides a short term Leadership Certification program in partnership with EQUIP®.
            • Accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
            Show more [+]
            • Accredited
            • Online Courses
            • Flexible Scheduling
            • Financial Aid
            • Transferable Credits