Substance Abuse Counselor Training in Delaware - DE
By Bonnie Walker, allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
When it comes to obtaining substance abuse counselor training in Delaware, the best course of action is to pursue a degree at an institute of higher education in a discipline related to medicine, human or social services or behavioral health. Those who want to obtain licensure in Delaware, which will insure that they have access to the best positions and pay opportunities, should keep in mind that a licensed substance abuse counselor must hold a master’s degree. In general, the more education and training a counselor has, the more professional opportunities will come his or her way.
To become a certified alcohol and drug counselor in Delaware, a candidate must complete 270 hours of education in fields deemed crucial to chemical dependency treatment, including clinical evaluate, treatment planning, counseling, and ethics. Of these 270 hours, twenty may be obtained through distance education, either through the mail or online. Courses of study must be approved by the Delaware Certification Board. Approved educational programs for substance abuse counselors include coursework in counseling techniques, pharmacology, group counseling methods, ethical issues, the physiological effects of alcohol and drugs, initial client assessment, formulation of treatment plans, and the psychological and physical aspects of substance abuse addiction.
Substance Abuse Counselor Schools in Delaware
We currently do not have any matching schools. However, the following online listings are also options for you:
- Ph.D. in Social Work - Addictions and Social Work
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling - Addictions and Public Health
- M.S. in School Counseling - Crisis and Trauma
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Addictions Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Addictions Counseling
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Student Development Counseling and Administration
- MA Human Services: Addictions and Recovery
- PhD in Counseling - Professional Counseling
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour