Substance Abuse Counselor Training in Montana - MT
By Allison Skoglind, allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
The goal of substance abuse counselor training in Montana is to turn out the most competent, well-trained, and dedicated professionals to the field of substance abuse counseling. These training programs are both required and necessary to give students exposure to the field before actually being thrust into it.
In Montana, each school creates its own substance abuse counselor training program. However, the State requires that each student complete no less than 1000 hours of supervised training in a mental health environment. Some of the tasks for students during this training include:
- Assessing the mental condition of patients
- Identifying stress points and triggers for chemical dependency
- Working with patients to develop an in-depth assessment of the situation
- Encouraging patients to acknowledge and identify their problem
- Creating treatment methods for patients to overcome chemical dependency
In Montana, you must have the minimum of an associate degree in psychological or addiction studies, although most employers will be actively looking for students with a bachelor degree level of education. Regardless of which degree program you choose, some of the courses you are likely to take include:
- Crisis, Trauma, and Disaster Response
- Diagnosis and Assessment
- Career Counseling
- Group Counseling
Both online and campus-based programs can help future substance abuse counselors in Billings, Missoula, Great Falls, Butte, Bozeman, and Helena, Montana find lucrative employment opportunities with some of the largest medical facilities in the state, including Bozeman Deaconess Hospital, Kalispell Regional Medical Center, Northern Montana Hospital, and St. Patrick Hospital and Health Sciences Center.
Substance Abuse Counselor Schools in Montana
We currently do not have any matching schools. However, the following online listings are also options for you:
- MA Human Services: Addictions and Recovery
- PhD in Counseling - Professional Counseling
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- Ph.D. in Social Work - Addictions and Social Work
- M.S. in Addiction Counseling - Addictions and Public Health
- M.S. in School Counseling - Crisis and Trauma
- Fort Lauderdale
- BS in Psychology - Substance Abuse
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.
- M.S. in Human Services - Drug and Alcohol Counseling
- M.S. in Human Services - Clinical Counseling
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
Experience an education that helps you realize your potential in a way that fits you best. Request more information about Post University today.