Substance Abuse Counselor Training in New Jersey - NJ

Formal training is mandatory for those who wish to become a Certified Alcohol Drug Counselor (CADC) in New Jersey. The first step to substance abuse counselor training in New Jersey is, of course, to receive one’s high school diploma (or general equivalency). Next, you must obtain at least 270 hours of drug and alcohol education. This is usually offered in colleges and universities and online, sometimes as a part of a bachelor’s degree in psychology, counseling, sociology or the like. Some schools treat substance abuse training as a minor, offering the proper amount of courses necessary to fulfill New Jersey’s requirements. Examples of courses that could be found in a concentration or minor for substance abuse counselors include: Introduction to Substance Abuse, Psychopharmacology, Counseling Substance Abusers, and a field work practicum.

The experiential portion of the training necessary to become a CADC in New Jersey must include 300 hours of supervised practical work experience and an additional 200 hours of supervised work experience (paid or voluntary). A practicum will teach you the day-to-day job requirement and duties of a CADC in a real-world setting. Here, you will get to practice with real people using counseling, treatment, assessment, and intake skills you’ve learned in the classroom. Upon graduation, you may apply to take the written and oral examinations to earn your CADC credential from the New Jersey state board.

Substance Abuse Counselor Schools

Refine School Listings
Please enter valid US or Canada Zip.
Matching School Ads

Capella provides a flexible online learning environment designed for working adults who want to advance in their profession.

Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose.

Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education.

The schools below offer related programs that other inquirers have considered.

Pursue a certificate, master, or doctorate degree in Psychology at The Chicago School for Professional Psychology