Lactation Consultant Schools in Texas - TX
By an allied health world contributing writer
Find a school now
Lactation consulting is a highly supported career choice in the state of Texas. There are many organizations and coalitions working to support breastfeeding health advocates.
How to Become a Lactation Consultant in Texas
One can take several routes to pursue a career in lactation consulting in Texas. International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) is the highest level of certification within this profession. As well, those interested in this career may chose to become a Certified Breastfeeding Counselor (CBC), or a Certified Lactation Consultant (CLC), but normally these lesser certifications will require supervision by a registered IBCLC. Lactation consultant training in Texas, no matter your specific certification, involves several steps.
- Earning a bachelor's degree as an RN or LPN or in another health-related area is the best foundation for success in this field. Without a completed bachelor's degree those interested in pursuing this career can work at the Texas Department of State Health Services as a Women, Infants and Children (WIC) peer counselor to gain knowledge and experience. As well, one may work with the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners in determining an approved course of education to be supervised by at least one International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) for the duration.
- While in pursuit of the IBCL certification an approved human lactation consultant course must be completed. The education requirements vary with the specific route towards certification.
- Depending on your specific pathway, a certain number of supervised “hands-on” training units must be completed. Working as a nurse or in a health related field will afford you the opportunity to gain the required clinical practice hours needed to become a candidate for the International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant Exam sooner.
- After completion of required hands-on lactation consultant training through Texas hospitals or medical facilities, you will be eligible to sit for the certification exam.
Through campus based and online programs, aspiring lactation consultants in Houston, Dallas, Austin, Fort Worth, El Paso, Arlington, Corpus Christi, Plano, Laredo, Lubbock and Amarillo, Texas can prepare themselves for careers at some of the best hospitals and healthcare facilities in the state including the Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital, Memorial Hermann Hospital, CHRISTUS Santa Rosa Hospital and Baylor Medical Centers.
Lactation Consultant Schools in Texas
- Fort Worth
- Diploma - Medical General
- San Antonio
- Medical General