Texas Pharmacy Tech Certificate – TX
How to Become a Pharmacy Technician in Texas
1. Get certified through the Texas State Board of Pharmacy
There is only one way to get certified as a pharmacy technician in the state of Texas, in order to work in any Pharmacy in Texas, you must get certified through the Texas State Board of Pharmacy (TSBP) http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/ All technicians that pass the required examination will be registered with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy. Once you have received your registration from TSBP, you may begin looking for a school or program in Texas, and start working in a pharmacy while you’re attending an online Texas pharmacy technician certification program.
It is highly recommended that you complete some sort of formal training from a community college, a technical institute, or a trade school, as it will help you to achieve your goals with much greater success. The curriculum used and the fees for attending some of these programs will vary depending on the area you live in.
2. When choosing an online Texas pharmacy technician certification program consider the following:
- Length and cost of program, community colleges will cost less than Tech/Trade or Vocational schools. Reputation and recognition of certificate is important.
- Does the program include an externship?
- Does the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists recognize the program?
3. Find the right program and school for you.
After you have passed the TSBP exams, you can enroll in an official Pharmacy Technician Certification Program either in a community college, or a trade school for further instruction (2 years associates degree), and start your on-the-job training in a pharmacy. To begin the registration process, visit the TSBP online at http://www.tsbp.state.tx.us/techregintro.htm
Have all of the following documentation ready:
- Current certification number issued by the PTCB
- Expiration date of PTCB Certificate
- Social Security Number
- High School Diploma or G.E.D
- TSBP license number and name of your pharmacy of employment
4. Begin your on-the-job training in a real pharmacy while attending your program in school.
TSBP requires every pharmacy in Texas to provide pharmacy technicians on-the-job training. It is required by law to complete this process, which usually consists of two years training. Rules are very specific as to the topics of education that must be included in these training programs.
5. Get certified and licensed to be a Pharmacy Technician after completing your two year hands-on-training, and fulfilling all educational requirements from the school and program of your choice.