How to Become a Surgical Tech in Virginia - VA
Surgical Technologist Training in Virginia
Virginia surgical technologist training is an interactive, hands-on experience that exposes you to the real-life scenarios of a surgical technologist. It is during this training experience that you will truly learn how to become a surgical tech in Virginia.
Virginia surgical technologist careers are the backbone support structures that help to ensure successful, efficient surgeries. Because surgical techs have such a vital role in the operative procedures, there is no more important aspect of career training than this surgical training period.
In Virginia, this type of training usually lasts from 3-6 months, although this is dependent upon the individual requirements of the school. Working directly with surgeons, nurses, and anesthesiologists, you will learn things like:
- How to keep surgical equipment sterilized and sanitary
- How to ensure sanitation of a patient’s incision site
- How to assist the surgeon with lights and suction machines, as well as how to hand surgical tools to the surgeon
- How to prepare a patient’s incision site for sutures
- The role and responsibility of the surgical technologist
While it is not necessary to have a state license in Virginia, you should be informed about certification. The National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) is the certifying board for this profession. Taking the Board’s test and becoming a Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) is usually required for employment in Virginia.