How to Become a Dental Hygienist in Washington - WA
The profession of dental hygienist is projected by the Bureau of Labor Statistics to grow at a rate of nearly 31% during the same time period. Given the large population, many large cities, military bases and professional businesses within the state of Washington, the dental field is a great place to work and will continue to see the nationwide growth expected in the field.
How to Become a Dental Hygienist in Washington
Dental Hygienists are professionals that must have a clear understanding of all of the important aspects of the dental health field. Following is a step-by-step guide for those wishing to become a dental hygienist in Washington.
- A high school diploma or its equivalent is the first requirement you must meet to become a Dental Hygienist in Washington. Your high school career should have a strong focus in biology, health and math in order to prepare you for the educational pathway of a dental hygienist. Medical terminology, if offered would also be helpful to familiarize you with the intricacies in the dental profession.
- Find and opportunity to shadow a practicing dental hygienist so that you can see what the day-to-day workplace is like. You will learn a lot about how these professionals work as part of the total dental health care team.
- Graduate from a dental hygienist degree program.
- Washington state law requires that you have a current CPR certification and card on file with the American Heart Association. If you are not yet CPR certified you will want to contact the Washington branch of the AHA as soon as possible to find a location at which you can take the necessary classes and gain certification.
- Once you have completed schooling and met the other requirements of having a CPR card and passing a criminal background check you will then be eligible to sit for the dental hygienist licensing examination. You must be licensed, as a dental hygienist to be permitted to work in the state of Washington so taking and passing the national examination is required.