Become a CNA in Arkansas
How to Become a Certified Nurse Assistant (CNA) in Arkansas
The first step to becoming a CNA in Arkansas is to acquire the proper education and training necessary for a successfully career. To accomplish this, individuals must achieve training through one of the following education options:
- Complete an Arkansas CNA certification program that meets the approval of the Arkansas Department of Human Services. Students must’ve graduated from said program within twelve months prior to applying for competency examination and certification.
- Must be a current RN or LPN student enrolled in an approved nursing program.
- Complete a home health aide approved training program.
- Complete an approved geriatric or long term care nurse aide training program in another state.
After gaining formal education, the next step is to contact Prometric Services or visit prometric.com/NurseAide/AR.htm and obtain an “Arkansas Nursing Assistant Eligibility Screening Application�? form. This form will request the following data:
- personal identifying information including name, date of birth, address, phone number, social security number, and proof of permission to legally work in the United States
- education and training program information including name, location, date of completion, and contact phone and fax numbers
- employment information including facility name, address, and supervisor’s name
- payment information including an application processing fee of $10 and an examination fee of $79
- submission of an “Arkansas Nursing Assistant Examination Scheduling�? form
- documented proof of the successful completion of an educational program
Once the eligibility application is reviewed and accepted, the applicant will be notified and issued an “Authorization to Test�? letter. The next step is to schedule and successfully pass a national CNA competency examination administered by Prometric Services. If examination is passed, a CNA will be placed on the Arkansas Nurse Aide Registry. CNAs are required to renew registration every two years. All applications and fees should be directed to:
Attn: Arkansas Nurse Assistant Testing Program
1260 Energy Lane
St. Paul, Minnesota 55108