Becoming a Dentist in New Mexico - NM
The New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care permits dentists to be licensed in New Mexico by examination, by credential, or by a temporary permit. To become a practicing dentist in New Mexico by examination, follow these guidelines as you complete and submit your application.
An applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Graduate from an accredited dental school.
- Passed the Dental National Board Examination.
- Passed one of the following: Western Regional Examining Board (WREB), Central Regional Testing Services (CRDTS), Southern Regional Testing Agency (SRTA), or North East Regional Board of Dental Examiners (NERB/ADEX) clinical examination.
- Pass a Level III background status report through Professional Background Information Services (PBIS), which handles the background checks. A fee of $500.00 should be paid directly to PBIS. More information is available at www.pbisonline.com. It is important to know that this process can take from 45-90 days and your license will not be issued until the background check is finalized and approved.
- Pass the New Mexico Jurisprudence examination obtained through the New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care with a score of at least 75 percent.
The fee for initial licensure by examination is $600 and can be paid by check or money order.
The State of Next Mexico Regulation and Licensing Department
New Mexico Board of Dental Health Care
Toney Anaya Building
2550 Cerrillos Road
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505