How to Become an Ultrasound Tech in Texas – TX
Texas is a large state and large on opportunity for a career choice in diagnostic medical sonography. Texas is home to top rated medical facilities. One of which is the Woman's Hospital of Texas located in Houston. The facility specializes in the care for women and newborn infants. This medical facility is a premier place to be a diagnostic medical sonographer. Job duties include ultrasound examinations in OB/GYN to intracranial studies in infants.
Becoming an Ultrasound Technician/Diagnostic Medical Sonographer in Texas
The state of Texas does not license or register the profession of diagnostic medical sonographer as of this date. However, to be competitive and more marketable within the industry, one would need to select an accredited program to attend and ultimately graduate. In addition, being registered with an organization such as the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) is highly recommended by employers. The following are steps that describe how to become an ultrasound technician in Texas and also obtain the registered diagnostic medical sonographer (RDMS) credential.
- Determine your prerequisite path. This encompasses education and clinical experience.
- Submit all appropriate documents that correlate with your prerequisite path.
- Fully complete the online application.
- Pay the appropriate fees.
- Pass two examinations - the Sonography Principles and Instrumentation (SPI) examination and one specialty examination within the RDMS credential.
Once the above steps have been taken, you are assigned the RDMS credential. This credential demonstrates professionalism and commitment by the individual. It is highly recognized by the medical community.