EKG Tech Certification in California - CA
California EKG Technican Certification
There are no licensing requirements for EKG Technicians to work in the state of California; however, there are minimum standards employers look for in potential job candidates.
- If you are still in high school and think becoming an EKG Tech might be for you, concentrate on coursework in the sciences and math.
- Enroll in an EKG Tech training program at a technical school, community college, or university in California. You will receive your California EKG technician certification upon graduation.
- Take a test to become nationally certified as an EKG Technician. While this is not a requirement in the state of California, many employers will look more favorably upon certified EKG Techs than those who are not nationally certified. There are a few options for national certification.
- One is through the American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT). To take their Electrocardiograph Exam you must first become a member of the ASPT, and have six months of experience as an entry-level EKG Tech or graduate from an approved training program. The fee to take their examination is $55 in addition to an ASPT membership fee.
- Another national certification option is through Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI). The CCI exam is for the Certified Cardiograph Technicians (CCT) credential. The cost of this exam is $160. To take this exam, you must either currently be in an EKG Tech training program, or be a recent graduate of one of these programs.