Gerontology Degrees in California - CA
Steps to become a Gerontologist in California
If you have a desire to help older Americans live longer fuller lives, gerontology may be a great fit for you. There are a number of ways you can work in this field including through government and social service agencies as well as retirement centers and nursing homes, just to name a few. Depending on your specific professional desires, you can earn a certificate all the way up to an advanced doctoral degree in Gerontology. Following is an outline of how you can enter the field of Gerontology.
- First and foremost you must be a person of good moral character. Working with elderly people takes a special kind of patience and kindness and this is certainly not a career choice for an individual that does not maintain a high code of personal ethics and conduct.
- No matter what level of education you gain in gerontology you must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent (typically a GED).
- Choose the right career path for you. If you simply would like to work with an older population, in a retirement community, you may just want to get an associate’s degree from an accredited institution. If you hope to gain credentials as a geriatric nurse you should strongly consider a bachelor's degree in gerontology, where you will get a much more in-depth education about the needs and special concerns of the elderly.
- You will be required to complete an internship if you are seeking an associates degree or higher in the state of California so that you can demonstrate your competence and ability.
- If you hope to work in a home health aide situation, the state of California requires you to take a 12 hour class on the laws regarding home health and senior citizens.
- Once you have completed an educational pathway of your choosing you can begin looking for a job. People who have been educated in gerontology can work in social work with older individuals, inside of nursing homes or in home health aide positions, as health care professionals, and as social scientists.
Through either online or campus based programs, aspiring gerontology professionals in San Diego, Los Angeles, San Jose and San Francisco can prepare to work for some of the best healthcare facilities in the country including Community Regional Medical Center, Laguna Honda Hospital, L.A. County & USC Medical Center, and Huntington Hospital.