How to Use the GI Bill to Advance Dental Hygienist Training

Aspiring dental hygienists should take these first steps to take advantage of the Montgomery GI Bill:

  1. Before becoming an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces, reach out to recruiters from various military branches and ask them about educational opportunities that come with services in each branch. Some branches of the Armed Forces will provide you with better educational incentives than others.
  2. Evaluate your enlistment contract to make sure that you will be able to take advantage of the Montgomery GI Bill following your military service. If you provide a small monthly fee during your first enlisted year, the GI Bill will provide you with free education toward becoming a dental hygienist for up for four years. If you have not been told otherwise, you are probably participating in the GI Bill program if you are currently an active military member.

Using the Montgomery GI Bill after your active military service to become a dental hygienist, or to advance your education in the dental hygiene field, is easy.

  1. Pick a university or college that offers a sufficient dental hygienist program and honors the GI Bill. Check with the Veterans Administration’s Web site for a list of schools that are currently participating. You can also talk to a financial aid representative at the school of your choosing that find out if that school honors the GI Bill.
  2. Complete the GI Bill application, which can be obtained from the Veterans Administration’s Web site or over the phone at (888) GIBILL-1. You can also receive an application from the Veterans Administration representative from the school of your choice.
  3. If you don’t yet know which school you would like to attend, you are still able to complete a GI Bill application. If you are eligible to take advantage of it, you will be provided with an eligibility certificate, and the GI Bill will cover all of your educational costs in becoming a dental hygienist.

GI Bill Eligibility and Benefits for Dental Hygienist Training

It would be beneficial for active military personnel to take dental hygiene courses while they remain active in the Armed Forces if they would like to become a dental hygienist following their service. While in the military, all of their tuition costs and other fees will be compensated, as long as the classes are related to their career military specialty. If they are not related, the military will still compensate active members for 75 percent of their class-related expenses.

Military veterans can take advantage of the GI Bill after two years of service in the military or after separation from the Armed Forces. They can utilize these benefits for a maximum of ten years following their date of separation from the military. The GI Bill will provide compensation for up to 36-full time months of academics. Military personnel who seek to become dental hygienists following their military career are also advised to test out of any college courses that they can during their service. The opportunity to test out of these classes is provided through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) program. To learn more about the way that DANTES works, go to http://www.military.com/timesaving-programs/defense-activity-for-non-traditional-education-support-dantes.

This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans benefits at http://www.va.gov.

Dental Hygienist Schools