Dietician Schools Through the Post 911 GI Bill | Degree | Military Education Program

Registered Dietician Degree Through Veterans Education Benefits

Becoming a Dietitian in the U.S. Armed Forces

Guidance counselors should be able to provide you with a list of colleges in your region that provide bachelor’s degree programs in food and nutrition, dietetics, or food service systems management. There are currently 235 programs through dietician schools that have been approved by the American Dietetics Association (ADA) or the Commission on Accreditation/Approval for Dietetics Education (CAADE).

What are some of the main responsibilities of a dietitian?

Any enlisted man or woman after two years of service, or those who have recently completed their military service entirely, can pursue an education in dietician schools through the post 911 GI Bill.

Here are the steps that you need to take to prepare to become a dietitian once you commence your military service:

  1. Acquire college applications and catalogs to compare dietetic programs. This should include supervised practice experience, which is a required component of any degree program. You can either complete 900 hours of practice experience in an internship that has been accredited by the ADA, or combine supervised practice and academic experience into a program that is four years long, to satisfactorily complete the ADA’s or CAADE’s requirements.
  2. You will need to be prepared to embark on nutrition, sociology, biology, microbiology, psychology, mathematics, institution management, and computer science courses en route to your degree in nutrition. It may be a good idea to evaluate your skill level in each of these areas prior to taking on a dietetics program.
  3. Once you obtain a bachelor’s degree and complete the supervised experience practice, you will need to take and pass an exam of certification to receive registered dietitian credentials. Most dietitians in health care and medical fields need to be certified to practice. The credentials will be provided by the ADA and the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
  4. If you wish to work in the field of public health or research, or in an advanced clinical setting, you will need to obtain a master’s degree. (You can earn this degree on a part-time basis while you are working as a dietitian following the receipt of your bachelor’s degree and certification credentials.)
This is a private website that is not affiliated with the U.S. government, U.S. Armed Forces or Department of Veteran Affairs. U.S. government agencies have not reviewed this information. This site is not connected with any government agency. If you would like to find more information about benefits offered by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs, please visit the official U.S. government web site for veterans benefits at
Our Partner Listings