Become a Vet Tech in Georgia
How to Become a Veterinary Technician in Georgia
- Graduate from high school. You will receive a high school diploma, or GED.
- Look for one of the campus based or online schools offering Georgia vet tech programs that are approved and accredited by the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association). All licensed Veterinary Technicians in the state of Georgia must have graduated from an AVMA-approved/accredited college or university program. Most likely, you will earn an Associate's degree, a two-year program, although some programs in Veterinary Technology are four-year, Bachelor's level programs. Have the school from which you graduate send transcripts directly to the Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine (address below).
- Take the Veterinary Technology National Exam (VTNE), given by the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB). This exam must be passed before applying for licensure in the state of Georgia as a Veterinary Technician. You must contact the AAVSB directly to arrange to take the test, at 877-698-8482 or www.aavsb.org.
- Have your test scores from the VTNE sent directly to the Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine:
Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine
237 Coliseum Drive
Macon, GA 31217
- If you have held a license as a Veterinary Technician in any other state, you must submit verification of that licensure. Have the state's licensing board send verification directly to the
Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine.
- Fill out an Application for Licensure as a Veterinary Technician, which can be found at sos.georgia.gov/acrobat/PLB/07%20Application%20for%20Veterinary%20Technician %20Application.pdf. Along with your completed, notarized application, you will need to send:
- a $50 licensure fee payable to the Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine
- a recent photograph of yourself
Submit the application to the address above.
- Submitted applications that are complete and do not require board review will be processed quickly, and licenses will be issued within 10-15 working days.