Medical Technician Schools in Hawaii
Steps to Become a Medical Technician in Hawaii
In the state of Hawaii, a medical technician, or a medical laboratory technician (MLT), must be licensed by the state to work in a lab. The Hawaii Department of Health is the department that issues licenses.
Requirements for medical technician licensure in Hawaii:
- A person who desires licensure as a MLT in Hawaii must have earned an associate’s degree in medical technology through one of the online Hawaii medical technician schools. The program must be accredited. The person also must pass an examination.
- Another way to qualify if the person does not have an associate’s degree is to complete 60 semester hours from an accredited educational institution, as well as pass an exam to qualify and finish an MLT program that is accredited. If the MLT program is not completed, the person could also meet that requirement, along with the 60 semester hours, by finishing a 50-week-long military MLT course, pass an exam to qualify as a MLT, and have been a Medical Lab Specialist within the past five years.
Along with the application, the following must be submitted with it:
- Official transcripts sent from the educational institution to the State Laboratories Division
- Proof that the applicant has passed a national certification exam
- A completed form called the “Department of Health Application for Licensure form�?
- Check made out to the State of Hawaii Department of Health for $25.00. A separate payment is also required for a new license fee. This is $40.00.
Contact information for where application for licensure must be sent is as follows:
State of Hawaii
Department of Health
State Laboratories Division
2725 Waimano Home Rd.
Pearl City, HI 96782
Telephone: (808) 453-6653