Pediatric Nursing Jobs in Pennsylvania - PA
Pediatric nurse practitioners are important members of the health care community. Their job description involves providing primary care services to children, as well providing acute care services, ongoing well care, and caring for children with chronic illnesses, all in addition to treating emergency medical issues as they arise. Pediatric nurse practitioners in Pennsylvania have also had prescriptive authority since 2000. The career of a pediatric nurse practitioner has been described as both fulfilling and challenging.
Registered nurses and others who want to discover how to become a pediatric nurse in Pennsylvania should take the following steps:
- If you have not already, attend undergraduate nursing school.
- Become a licensed Registered Nurse in Pennsylvania by passing the NCLEX-RN examination.
- Enter graduate studies – a master’s degree, post-master’s certificate or doctoral degree is necessary for all PNPs practicing in Pennsylvania.
- Achieve national certification through an examination. This examination must be administered by an agency recognized by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing. Some of these include the American Nurses Credentialing Center and the Pediatric Nursing Certification Board.
- Fill out the state Board of Nursing’s application to become a Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner (CRNP) in the state. Send it along with all supporting documents and an application fee of $100 to: Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing, CRNP Applications, P.O. Box 2649, Harrisburg, PA 17105-2649.