Becoming a Physician Assistant in Florida
Physician Assistant Certification and License in Florida
Those interested in knowing how to become a physician assistant in Florida should note that a person must be at least 18 and must have graduated from an approved training program.
The applicant must include the following with the application:
- A fee of $305, which includes a $100 application fee and a $205 fee for the initial license
- A recent two inch-by-two inch head and shoulders picture taken in the last 60 days
- Recommendation letters no more than six months old from two physicians, addressed to the Council on Physician Assistants.
- For current or former military personnel, copy of current military orders or certificate of honorable discharge
- Evidence of licenses held in the past or currently in other states
- Proof of receiving a physician assistant degree or a letter from the program director that includes date of graduation
- Evidence of passing grade on the examination given by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
- Information about any misdemeanor or felony convictions or malpractice complaints
- Reasons for and dates of any treatment for mental health or drug dependency issues as well as a report from each of the therapists involved to the Council on Physician Assistants.
To become a physician assistant in Florida, candidates must also submit evidence of completing the following continuing medical education courses: a three-hour HIV/AIDS course, a one-hour domestic violence course, and a two-hour course on preventing medical errors.
The applicant may need to appear personally before the Council on Physician Assistants once the application process is finished.
A licensed physician assistant may also be licensed to prescribe medications by doing the following:
Complete a three-hour approved course in prescriptive practice.
Submit an application with a $400 fee, $200 for the application and $200 for licensure; note that separate applications must be completed for different specialty areas and for separate practice settings that are not part of the same practice.
Mail your completed form to Department of Health, Council on Physician Assistants, P.O. Box 6320, Tallahassee, Florida, 32399-6320.
Send supporting documents to:
Department of Health, Council on Physician Assistants, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, BIN C03, Tallahassee, Florida, 32399-3253.
Explore more programs similar to Physician Assistants below: