Becoming a Physician Assistant in Texas
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reported in May 2008 that there were around 71,950 licensed physician assistants in the United States. Almost 4,000 are licensed in the state of Texas. It is worth mentioning for those interested in knowing how to become a physician assistant in Texas that due to the large size of the state and the high number of military personnel, physician assistants are in high demand, especially in rural and inner-city healthcare facilities. The job as a whole is expected to grow almost 40% by 2018. This is considerably faster than the average job growth in the country.
Aspiring physician assistants must provide all necessary fees and documentation required by the Texas Physician Assistant Board. These include:
- Completed online application
- Paid $205 licensure fee
- Complete Form D, Dean’s Certification and Form L-PA/AC Professional Evaluations.
- Provide proof of identity (copy of birth certificate or current passport).
- Verification letter of NCCPA certification, sent directly from NNCPA indicating PANCE score or scores and the number of attempts.
- Proof of passing the Texas state jurisprudence exam.
- Verification of practice as a physician assistant or completion of physician assistant program within the two years prior to applying.
- Verification of any other current health care licenses.
For additional information visit the Texas Physician Assistant Board website: (http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/default.php).
Professional Organizations for Physician Assistants
There are a wide variety of professional and member based organizations and associations to assist and support physician assistants before, during, and after their licensing and education process. These organizations exist on the national and state levels and can provide invaluable information to students as they learn how to become a physician assistant in Texas.
National Organizations for Physician Assistants
- American Academy of Physician Assistants
950 North Washington Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-1552
(703)836-2272 – Phone
(703)684-1924 - Fax
http://www.aapa.org/ - Website
- National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
12000 Findley Road Suite 200
Duluth, GA 30097-1409
(678)417-8100 – Phone
(678)417-8135 – Fax
www.nccpa.net – Website
- Physician Assistant Education Association
300 N. Washington Street, Suite 505
Alexandria, VA 22314-2544
(703)548-5538 – Phone
[email protected] - Email
http://www.paeaonline.org/ - Website
Texas Organizations for Physician Assistants
- Texas Academy of Physician Assistants
401 W. 15th St.
Austin, TX 78701-1680
(800)280-7655 – Phone Toll Free
(512)370-1537 – Phone
(512)370-1626 – Fax
- Texas Physician Assistant Board
http://www.tmb.state.tx.us/boards/pabd.php - Website
- Texas Physician Assistant Foundation
www.texaspaf.org – Website
Explore more programs similar to Physician Assistants below: