How to Become a Psychologist in Hawaii – HI | Psychology Training

Become a Psychologist in Hawaii - HI

The State of Hawaii requires all working Psychologists to be licensed. Practice in any field of psychology relating directly to the care and treatment of patients (e.g., Forensic and Clinical Psychology) requires licensure. Under Hawaii’s Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Professional and Vocational Licensing (PVL), the state’s Board of Psychology controls the licensing process.

Those interested in knowing how to become a psychologist in Hawaii will find it interesting to note that there are six options to pursue psychology licensure in this state. Since the requirements for each are different, access the state’s PVL’s website, if you’d like more detail and to download the license application forms. Criteria for each licensure option are provided in the sections that follow.


  1. Fulfill all educational requirements (see “Educational Requirements for Psychologists in Hawaii” section)
  2. Complete an American Psychology Association (APA) approved and supervised one-year internship (1,900 hours) as part of a doctoral degree program
  3. Unless certain exceptions apply*, you must complete one year (1,900 hours) of supervised post-doctoral experience in health service in psychology
  4. Pass the Hawaii-administered (computer-based) Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP)

*The one-year post-doctoral experience requirement is waived if you enrolled in an APA-approved or regionally accredited program before January, 1986 and have met all other requisites specified by the State of Hawaii Board of Psychology

Waiver of Examination

An applicant can waive the requirement to take the Hawaii-administered EPPP for a Hawaii license. All other requirements specified in the preceding “By Examination” section must be met. This option requires that:

  • Applicant must hold a license (or certificate) “in good standing” to practice psychology in another U.S. state, and the requirements of this license are deemed by Hawaii’s Board of Psychology to be equivalent to those of the State of Hawaii
  • The license applicant has already passed the EPPP with a score that was at least equal to what the Board established as a “passing score” at the time the applicant took this exam

Senior Psychologist Status

In this case, only the following conditions need be met to apply for licensure:

  • The applicant holds a valid license to practice psychology granted by another U.S. state, even if that state did not require the EPPP at the time of licensure
  • If the applicant holds a valid license from another U.S. state that required the EPPP, the passing score obtained must be at least equal to that required by Hawaii’s Board of Psychology at the time the exam was taken
  • The applicant had to be licensed as a Psychologist for at least 20 years in at least one U.S. state or Canada.
    • The license must be based on a requirement for a doctoral degree, and
    • The applicant has had no disciplinary sanctions in any jurisdiction

For the next three licensure options, all requirements described in the prior sections have been satisfied. Only the conditions detailed below need to be met for State of Hawaii licensing:

Diplomate Certificate Holder, ABPP

The applicant interested in knowing how to become a psychologist in Hawaii need only have a Diplomate Certificate issued by the American Board of Professional Psychology, documented by a “letter of good standing” from the ABPP.

Certificate of Professional Qualification in Psychology (CPQ)

A license applicant must hold a current CPQ Certificate issued by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB). The ASPPB must send a letter directly to the Hawaii Board of Psychology, verifying the applicant’s CPQ. Obtain a “Request for CPQ Verification Form” from the ASPPB ( to arrange a letter.

National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology Credential

You must hold a current Health Service Provider credential issued by the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology (also referred to as the National Register or NR ). You’ll need to request that a letter from the National Register be sent directly to the Hawaii Board of Psychology verifying your NR credential (


Psychology Schools