Become a Psychologist in Texas - TX
Those interested in knowing how to become a psychologist in Texas should note that the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists requires that each applicant first become a provisionally licensed psychologist with supervision from a licensed psychologist.
To become a provisionally licensed psychologist, an applicant must:
- Obtain a doctoral degree in psychology.
- Complete the provisional license application, which requires a $340 application fee. The application can be found at http://www.tsbep.state.tx.us/application-packets/Application-Packet-PLP.pdf.
- Pass the Examination for Professional Practice in Psychology (EPPP) with a score of 70 percent or better.
- Pass the Jurisprudence Examination with a score of 90 percent or better.
- A provisionally licensed psychologist is eligible to become a licensed psychologist and practice independently, provided that he or she:
- Obtains two years of supervised experience.
- Passes the Texas State Board of Examiners’ oral examination. Information on the oral exam can be found at http://www.tsbep.state.tx.us/documents/brochurenew.pdf.