How to Become a Respiratory Therapist in Illinois – IL | Training

How to Become a Respiratory Therapist in Illinois – IL

Becoming a Respiratory Therapist in Illinois

The minimum education requirement for becoming a respiratory care technician is an associate’s degree. Training may be completed at a technical or vocational school, university or college. Training programs may also be offered through medical schools and in the military.

The majority of employers will also require that the respiratory care professional is certified in CPR.

After completion of a training program accredited by the CAAHEP, the applicant will need to pass either the CRT (Certified Respiratory Therapist) exam or the RRT (Registered Respiratory Therapist) exam. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age to take the exam. Additional information regarding the exam and registration for the exam can be found on the National Board for Respiratory Care website at

After passing the CRT or RRT exam, the applicant must apply for licensing in the state of Illinois prior to beginning work as a respiratory therapist or a respiratory therapy technician.

Application materials can be obtained from the Illinois Department of Finance and Professional Regulation website or by contacting the department directly. 

Dept of Finance & Professional Regulation
320 W. Washington
Springfield, IL 62786
Ph: 217-782-8556
Fax: 217-782-7645

All pages of the application must be returned. If a portion of the application is not applicable, it must be indicated as such and returned with the completed application. There is a separate application for those practitioners who have been licensed in another state (Endorsement) and for those that have not been licensed previously. For those applicants who have let their license lapse, they must contact the department directly for instructions on how to renew.

The following materials and documentation are required for licensing as a Respiratory Care Practitioner in the state of Illinois.

  1. Completed application, all pages
  2. Instruction Sheet
  3. Reference Sheet
  4. Supporting documentation (where applicable)
    1. Certificate of licensure
    2. Education Form (sent directly from institution)
    3. NBRC Wall Certificate
    4. Verification of Employment
    5. Continuing Education
    6. NBRC Score Report
    7. DD214 for those coming from active military service

Our Partner Listings